The Head of Division since inception
- Dr. Ambadan
- Dr. S. Ethiraj
- Dr. S. Shanthakrishnamurthy
- Dr. K. P. Gopalakrishna Rao
- Dr. C. K. Narayana
- Dr. Harinder Singh Oberoi
- To carry out basic and applied research on postharvest management and extension of self-life of fruits, vegetables, and ornamental crops.
- To develop technologies/ processes for value addition, product diversification and waste utilization of fruits, vegetables, and ornamental crops.
- To carry out research to ensure microbiological quality and safety in fresh and processed products.
- To conduct teaching and training for capacity building of scientific manpower and for development of human resources as well as to serve as repository of scientific information in the areas of postharvest horticulture.
- To develop innovative products/processes and commercialize the same through ITMU and Public and Private Partnership (PPP).
Thrust areas (12th FYP)
Development of postharvest technologies for loss reduction and utilization of perishable horticultural crops with main emphasis on:
- Extension of storage life and quality maintenance, as well as design and development of storage systems.
- Development of protocols to extend the shelf life and to eliminate microbiological hazards in ready- to -use salad and leafy vegetables.
- Development of fruit and vegetable based nutritious snacks, fruit beverages and convenient product.
- Profiling nutritional and nutraceutical potential and value addition of under utilized crops.
- Utilization of unmarketable and processing waste for value addition.
- Post harvest management and value addition of cut flowers, fillers and foliage.
- Integrated pre and postharvest protocol consisting of improved methods of handling, pre-treatments, packaging and storage was developed for Alphonso and Bangenapalli mango by which the storage life could be extended up to 5 weeks.
- Standardization of postharvest treatments, precooling and optimum storage temperatures for extension of storage life of important fruits and vegetables.
- Individual shrink wrapping technology for pomegranate and capsicum.
- Standardization of Controlled atmospheres storage conditions for mango and banana for export purpose.
- Alleviation of chilling injury of fruits and vegetables by CA storage, MA packing and Individual shrink wrapping.
- Process for making squash and RTS from mango, pineapple, guava, passion fruit, banana, grape, aonla etc.
- Technology for Osmotic dehydration of fruits-mango, pineapple, papaya, aonla, jackfruit, banana, sapota, guava, carrot, pumpkin.
- Process for making fruit bars-mango, aonla, guava, papaya and their blends.
- Process for making culinary products (Onion, Garlic, Ginger, Green Chilly pastes, Tamarind sauce, Lime sauce, Curry paste).
- Process for making dehydrated vegetables - carrot, cauliflower, onion and French beans.
- Freezing of vegetables- peas, carrot, cauliflower, French bean and dehydro-frozen products from mango and pineapple.
- Improving the raisin quality through crop management.
- Enhancement of shelf life and vase life of commercial & new varieties and hybrids of cut flowers of rose, chrysanthemum, gerbera, gladiolus, carnation, aster, tuberose, anthurium and orchids.
- Value addition through dehydration in helichrysum, gomphrena, chrysanthemum, rose, antirrhinum, carnation, celosia, orchids, cosmos, cone flowers, silver oak, casuarinas and fern foliage.
- Estimated biomass and crop residues in cabbage, cauliflower, chilies and amaranth and evaluated its nutritional quality.
- Developed fortified food products using processing wastes and field residues.
- Standardization of procedure for producing alcohol from solid and liquid processing wastes.
- Process for making fuel briquettes from mushroom production waste and paper from banana field residue.
- Process for producing standard quality dry and sweet table wines from grapes, banana, sapota and litchi.
- Lactic Acid Bacteria best suited for vegetable fermentation were identified and methods were standardized for preservation of vegetables such as carrot, cucumber, capsicum, cabbage, coccinea, radish, cauliflower, pea, tomato, gherkins by brining and lactic fermentation using Lactobacillus plantarum.
- Value added products from jackfruit seed powder and raw jack fruit.
- Value added products from pumpkin waste(Pectin, kernel oil and soup mixes) and tomato waste peel
- Extension of fresh cut /minimally processed fruits and vegetables
- Probioticated fruit beverages(mango, pineapple and pomegranate)
- Modified atmospheric packaging of fruits and vegetables (muskmelon, pomegranate, pineapple, jackfruit and papaya)
- Biodegradable packing material from crop residues
- Edible coating with essential oils to reduce spoilage and retain quality of fruits
- 1-MCP for shelf life extension in fruits, vegetables and flowers
- Millet fortified fruit beverages(mango, pineapple and pomegranate)
- Development of machineries for onion cultivation
- Development of machineries for Raw mango processing
- Development of vegetable nursery machineries
- Development of Harvesters for Mango, sapota and lime
- Development of Processing machineries (Pomegranate aril extractor, Raw jackfruit peeler, Pineapple peeler cum slicer
- Development of pruning tool for guava orchards
- Development of power operated fertidrill
- Osmotic Dehydration of mango
- Osmotic Dehydration of pineapple
- Osmotic Dehydration of papaya
- Osmotic Dehydration of aonla
- Osmotic Dehydration of jackfruit
- Osmotic Dehydration of banana
- Osmotic Dehydrated Sapota
- Technology for making fruit bar
- Technology for making mango squash
- Technology for making pineapple squash
- Technology for making aonla squash
- Technology for making whole tomato Crush squash
- Dried flower technology
- Shrink-wrapping technology for pomegranate
- Shrink-wrapping technology for capsicum
- Low Cost Ripening Technology
- Culinary Pastes of Onion, Garlic, Ginger and Green Chilli
- Brine Preservation of mango slices for pickling
- Technology for making wine from banana, sapota and flavoured wine
- Fresh cut vegetable technology- onion, cabbage, carrot, radish, coriander, peeled garlic, capsicum, french beans and cucumber
- Technology for preservation of raw mango slices in brine.
- ARKA High humidity storage box for shelf life extension of green leafy vegetables
- Enzyme clarified jackfruit RTD beverage (Arka Halasu Ras)
- Jackfruit seed powder based chocolate wrap (Arka Jackolate)
- Jackfruit seed powder and mushroom based biscuits/cookies(Arka Jackies)
- Technology for production of spray dried avocado powder
- Technology for the Production of Probiotic Pomegranate Juice, Probiotic mango beverage and RTS Probiotic pineapple beverage
- Technology for production of ARKA Mushroom Chutney powder
- Technology for production of butter fruit spread, butter fruit chutney
- Technology for production of RTS bitter gourd juice
- Technology for production of RTS from Dragon fruit(Kamalam)
Vegetable nursery machinery
- Root media sieving and bag filling unit
- Rooting media mixer cum bag filling machine
- Protray dibbler cum vacuum seeder
- Rooting media elevating, sieving, mixing and bag filling machine-high capacity Single unit
- Automatic protray dibbler cum step seeder for vegetable nursery
- Machinery for onion cultivation
- Power operated onion seed extractor
- Manual drawn onion seeder
- Animal drawn onion seeder
- Tractor drawn broad bed former cum onion seeder
- Tractor operated onion digger cum windrower
- Power operated onion de-topper
- Tractor operated hydraulic platform for harvesting, spraying and pruning
- Raw Mango Processing machinery
- Raw mango size grader
- Raw mango peeler
- Raw mango slicer
- Raw mango cube cutter
- Pomegranate aril extractor
- Raw Jackfruit Peeler
- Solar powered Fruit and Vegetable vending van
- Solar powered Fruit and vegetable vending tricycle cart
POST HARVEST TECHNOLOGY AND AGRICULTURAL ENGINEERING BROCHURE
POST HARVEST TECHNOLOGY AND AGRICULTURAL ENGINEERING TECHNICAL BULLETIN 03/2020
Dr. D V Sudhakar Rao
Principal Scientist & I/c. Head,
Division of PHT & AE