- Screening of acidlime varieties at different levels of salinity to find out salt tolerant acidlime varieties
- On farm trials to test the performance of salt tolerant acidlime variety
- Screening of sapota varieties at different water SAR levels to find out tolerant varieties
- Screening of guava accessions at different levels of salinity
- Screening of cauliflower varieties for salt tolerance
- To findout vegetable varieties with low heavy metal absorption in carrot and palak
- To findout effect of amendments (FYM) on heavy metal Cd uptake in leafy (amaranthus) and root (radish) vegetables
Date of Start of this programme:
July , 2009
1.Identification of salt tolerant acidlime variety “Tenali” (Balaji).
2. Identification of Guava accessions for salt tolerance
3. Identification of Cauliflower varieties for salt tolerance.
4. Cultivars of Carrot with lower heavy metal absorption capacity.
5. Cultivars of Palak with lower heavy metal absorption capacity
6.Measures to bring down heavy metal uptake in leafy and root vegetables.
- L.R. Varalakshmi and Ganeshamurthy, A.N. November 2009. Effect of cadmium on plant biomass and cadmium accumulation in amaranthus (Amaranthus tricolor) cultivars. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 79 (11): 861-864.
- L.R Varalakshmi and Ganeshamurthy A.N (2012). Heavy metal contamination of water bodies, soils and vegetables in peri urban areas- A case study in Bangalore. J. Hort. Sci.. 7(1):62-67.
- L.R. Varalakshmi and Ganeshamurthy A. N. (2013). Phytotoxity of cadmium in radish (Raphanus sativus L.) and its effect on growth, yield and cadmium uptake. Commun. Soil. Sci. Plant Anal. 44:9,1444-1456.
1.Varalakshmi, L.R. and Ganeshamurthy,A.N., (2012). Managing Horticultural crops in saline and sodic soils. Book chapter In “Horticulture for Food and Environment security. Edited by Dr. K. L. Chadha, A.K. Singh, S.K. Singh and W.S. Dhillon, Published by West ville.pp.317-340.
2. Ganeshamurthy, A.N, L.R. Varalakshmi and G.C. sathisha, (2012). Management of fruit crops in acid soils of India. Book chapters In “Acid soils of India-Distribution, properties and management for sustainable crop production” edited by Dr. K.Sudhir, C.A.Srinivasamurthy, V.R.Ramakrishna Parama, N.B. Prakash, A.sathish and S.C. Kotur . pp95-105.
3. Varalakshmi.L.R (2010). Mitigating heavy metal toxicity in peri urban Horticultural crops. Life style Horticulture Vol. 48:pp 81-85. Published by Agri-Horti Society, Division of Floriculture and Land scaping. IARI, New Delhi.in 2010.
- Varalakshmi, L.R and A.N. Ganeshamurthy, July, 2010. Heavy metal contents in the food chain. Kisan World (English),2010 37(7): 47-49.
- Varalakshmi L.R and A. N.Ganeshamurthy. (2010). Heavy metal pollution of vegetable crops in peri urban areas and its consequences. Vatika Summer, 2010 (2):24-27.
- L.R. Varalakshmi and A.N. Ganeshamurthy (2009): Toxic heavy metals and their impact on food and human health . Kisan World. October, 2009: 43-46.
- Varalakshmi L.R and A. N.Ganeshamurthy. (2010). Bahya Sahari Kshethromme sabjiyom ka bhari dhatu pradhushan aur iske parinam. Bhagvani (volume:3):pp. 19-23.
- Varalakshmi L.R and A. N.Ganeshamurthy. (2011). Urvarak me bhari dhatu ki mathra aur khadya shrinkala me inka pravesh. Bhagvani (volume:4):pp.86-88.
- Varalakshmi L.R and A. N.Ganeshamurthy. (2011). Beware, You could be eating toxic vegetables. Indian express dated 07/09/2011
- Varalakshmi L.R. and A.N. Ganeshamurthy (2010). Heavymetal contamination of water bodies, soils and vegetables in peri urban areas of Bangalore city of India. Full paper Published in proceedings of 19th world congress of soil science held from 1-6 August at Brisbane, Australia.
- L.R.Varalakshmi (2010). Salt tolerance of acidlime cultivars. National Conference on Horticultural Biodiversity, Livelihood, Economic development and Health care held at Bangalore from 29th to 31st May, 2010.
- L.R.Varalakshmi (2010). Effect of salt stress on nutrient status in acidlime. National Symposium on salt affected soils held at Bhopal, M.P from 14-17Th, Nov, 2010
- L.R.Varalakshmi (2011). Salt tolerance of cauliflower varieties. National Seminar on developments in soil science-2011 held at UAS, Dharwad