(During the Period of 2019-2023)
Principal Investigator of tomato breeding project that focuses on development of interspecific populations and pre-breeding, development of improved inbred lines and hybrids for different market segments, and marker assisted introgression of elite genes. In the past four years (2019-23), we have pyramided Ty series of genes in tomato and four pyramided lines were registered with NBPGR. We have assembled draft genome of two wild relatives of tomato namely Solanum sitiens and Solanum chilense in an international collaborative project with Cranfield University, UK. We have also unravelled molecular mechanisms underlying salt tolerance in tomato wild relative Solanum chilense using genomics approaches.
- Lead breeder of CVRC released tomato cultivars Kashi Aman, Kashi Adarsh, Kashi Amul and Kashi Abhimaan(Govt. of India Gazette S.0. 3666 (E) dated 6 December, 2016; S.0. 261(E) dated 16 January, 2018; Govt. of India Gazette S.0. 2363 (E) dated 4 October, 2012).
- Associate breeder of CVRC released tomato varieties Kashi Vishesh, Kashi Sharad, Kashi Hemant and Kashi Amrit (Govt. of India Gazette S.0. 597 (E) dated 25 April, 2006).
- Lead breeder of four tomato genetic stocks (Ty gene pyramided lines) and associate breeder of three tomato genetic stocks registered with NBPGR, New Delhi.
(Best 10/High Impact)
- Molitor C, TJ Kurowski, PMF de Almeida, P Eerolla, DJ Spindlow1, SP Kashyap, B Singh, HC Prasanna, AJ. Thompson and FR Mohareb. 2021. De novo genome assembly of Solanum sitiens reveals structural variation associated with drought and salinity tolerance. Bioinformatics 37 (14):1941-1945. (NAAS Score 12.93).
- SP Kashyap, HC Prasanna, Nishi Kumari, Pallavi Mishra, B Singh. 2020. Understanding salt tolerance mechanism using transcriptome profiling and de novo assembly of wild tomato Solanum chilense. Scientific Reports 10 (1): 1-20 (NAAS Score 11.00) (As a corresponding author).
- SP Kashyap, Nishi Kumari, Pallavi Mishra, Durga Prasad Moharana, Mohd Aamir, B Singh, HC Prasanna. 2020. Transcriptional regulation-mediating ROS homeostasis and physio-biochemical changes in wild tomato (Solanum chilense) and cultivated tomato (Solanum lycopersicum) under high salinity. Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences 27 (8): 1999-2009. (NAAS Score 10.05) (As a corresponding author).
- Prasanna H C, Kanakala S, Archana K, Jyothsna P, Varma R K, Malathi V G. 2015. Cryptic species composition and genetic diversity within Bemisia tabaci complex in soybean in India revealed by mtCOI DNA sequence. Journal of Integrative Agriculture 14(9): 1786-1795. (NAAS Score 10.38).
- Prasanna H C, S. P. Kashyap, R. Krishna, D P Sinha, Suresh Reddy, and V. G. Malathi. 2015. Marker assisted selection of Ty-2 and Ty-3 carrying tomato lines and their implications in breeding tomato leaf curl disease resistant hybrids. Euphytica 204: 407-418 (NAAS Score 8.19).
- Prasanna H C, D. P. Sinha, G. K. Rai, R. Krishna, S. P. Kashyap, N. K. Singh, M. Singh and V. G. Malathi. 2015. Pyramiding Ty-2 and Ty-3 genes for resistance to monopartite and bipartite tomato leaf curl viruses of India. Plant Pathology 64:256-264 (NAAS Score 8.77).
- Prasanna H C, D P Sinha, Ajay Verma, Major Singh, B Singh, Mathura Rai and D P Martin. 2010. The population genomics of begomoviruses: global population structure and geneflow. Virology Journal 7:220 (NAAS Score 11.91).
- Sahu P P, N K Rai, S Chakraborty, Major Singh, Prasanna H C, B Ramesh, D Chattopadhyay and Manoj Prasad. 2010. Tomato cultivar tolerant to Tomato leaf curl New Delhi virus infection induces virus-specific short interfering RNA accumulation and defence-associated host gene expression. Molecular Plant Pathology 11(4): 531-544 (NAAS Score 11.52).
- Shukla, A K, Pranjali V, Upadhyay S N, Tripathi A K, H C Prasanna, Dubey S K. 2009. Biodegradation of trichloroethylene (TCE) by methanotrophic community. Bioresource Technology 100: 2469-2474 (NAAS Score 17.89).
- Prasanna H C and Mathura Rai. 2007. Detection and frequency of recombination in tomato-infecting begomoviruses of South and Southeast Asia. Virology Journal 4:111 (NAAS Score 11.91).
- Koushik Saha, P. E. Rajasekharan, H. C. Prasanna. 2023. Cryopreservation Protocol for Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.) and its wild relatives Pollen for Utilization in Crop Improvement 341-353. In Pollen Cryopreservation Protocols Ed: PE Rajasekharan, MR Rohini. Springer. ISBN 978-1-0716-2842-3.
- Laxman RH, KV Ravishankar, HC Prasanna, KV Ramesh, K Rashmi, S Kannan, K Hara Gopal, SS Darshan. 2022. Physiological, Molecular and genetic analysis of abiotic stress tolerance. 324 In tomato Genomic designing for abiotic stress resistant vegetable crops. (Ed C Kole) Springer 2022 XXIII, 324pp. ISBN 978-3-031-03963-8.
- B. Singh, H.C. Prasanna, P.M. Singh, Sudhakar Pandey, Rajesh Kumar, Gyan P. Mishra, S.K. Tiwari and B.K. Singh. Harnessing heterosis in vegetable crops: A means for achieving high productivity and profitability. In Doubling farmers income through horticulture (Ed K L Chadha). Daya publishing house.2017, 982pp. ISBN 978-9-386-07167-5. 4.
- Mathura Rai, H C Prasanna, DP Sinha, Major Singh. Tomato. In Advances in Horticulture Biotechnology, Molecular markers and marker assisted selection - vegetables, ornamentals and tuber crops (Eds HP Singh, VA Pathasarathy, K Nirmal Babu) Westville Publishing house 2011, 250pp. ISBN 978-81-85873-70-1. 5.
- Mathura Rai, Major Sigh, Sanjeet Kumar, HC Prasanna, Rajesh Kumar. Harnessing heterosis: Solanaceous vegetables. In Heterosis in crop plants (Eds G Kalloo, Major Singh). Researchco Book Centre. 2006, 390pp. ISBN 978-81-89614-03-4.