Principal Scientist (Horticulture)
Division of Vegetable Crops
Vegetable Breeding in Okra, Watermelon, muskmelon and cucumber
Ph.D - (Horticulture)
(During the Period of 2019-2023)
- Identified two wild species of okra viz., Abelmoschus pungens var. mezonensis and A. angulosus var. grandiflorus found combined resisatnce to YVMV and ELCV both artificial and natural screening.
- Identified two okra advance lines having high yield >25t /ha , dark green smooth short fruit and tolerance to YVMV both natural and artificial screening.
- Four okra hybrids namely OKH-32,OKH-53 , OKH155 and OKH-73 were found to be in terms of yield ,quality and tolerance to YVMV.
- Transfer of YVMV and ELCV genes from wild species of (Abelmoschus pungens var. mezonensis and A. angulosus var. grandiflorus) to cultivated lines high yield and good quality through wide hybridization work is under progress.
- Identified three okra advance lines for combined resistance to root knot nematodes and fusarium wilt.
Varieties / Technologies Developed:
- Ridge gourd : Arka Sujat and Arka Sumeet : high yield and tolerant to mildews
- Cucumber : Arka Veera -High yield and Tolerant to downy mildew
- Okra : Arka Anamika, Arka Abhay -Tolerant to YVMV , Arka Nikita: GMS based F1 hybrid for high yield and good qaulity and licensed to many seed industries . Watermelon : Arka Muthu -Dwarf & Ice box variety, suitable for precision farming ; Arka Akash and Aka Aiswarya : F1 hybrid for high yield and good qualities , Arka Madhura : Seedless watermelon for protected cultivation.
(Best 10/High Impact)
- Pitchaimuthu, M and P. Sirohi (1997) Genetic analysis of fruit characters in Bottle gourd [Lagenaria sciceraria (Mol.) Standl.] J. Genet. & Breeding 51: 33-37.
- G. Muthaiah, D. Elangovan, Pitchaimuthu. Mottaiyan, and K. V. Ravishankar (2023) Comprehensive Transcriptome Analysis in Okra[(Abelmoschus esculentus (L.) Moench)]: Analysis of LncRNA and Transcription Factors Involved in Abiotic Stress. Russian Journal of Plant Physiology, 2023, Vol. 70:47.
- J.C.Bommesh, M.Pitchaimuthu, K.V.Ravishankar, B.Varalakshmi(2019) Development and Maintenance of Tropical Gynoecious Inbred Lines in Cucumber (Cucumis sativus) and Validation by DNA Markers. Agric Res
- K. T. Shashikumar ,M. Pitchaimuthu , D.P. Kumar and R. D. Rawal(2011) Heterosis and combining ability for resistance to powdery mildew in adult melon plants . Plant Breeding 130:383-387.
- K. T. Shashikumar ,M. Pitchaimuthu and R. D. Rawal(2010) Generation mean analysis of resistance to downy mildew in adult muskmelon plants. Euphytica: 73 (1): 121-127.
- J.C. Bommesh, M.Pitchaimuthu, A.T. Sadashiva, S.Sriram, B.Varalakshmi and K.V.Ravishankar.(2018) Identification and confirmation of downy mildew (Pseudoperonospora cubensis Berk.& Curt.) resistance sources in cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) Indian Phytopathology71:337-348
- G.C.Nagesh,ESreenivasaRao,M.Pitchaimuthu,B.Varalakshmi, C.Lakshmana Reddy,D.K. Samuel,A.Rekha & M. Krishna Reddy (2018) Genetic Analysis of resistance to watermelon bud necrosis orthotospovirus in watermelon [Citrulluslanatus (Thunb) . Plant Breeding 137:814-822.
- K.V. Ravishankar, Gayathri.M, Pitchaimuthu.M andSathosh Kumar.G (2017) Identification of novel microsatellite markers in okra (Abelmoschus esculentus (L.) Moench) through next- generation sequencing and their utilization in analysis of genetric relatedness studies and cross-species transferability. Journal of Genetics.Vol.97,Online resources: e39-e47
- M. Pitchaimuthu, O.P.Dutta and K.R.M. Swamy (2012) Studies on inheritance of Genetic Male sterility (GMS) and hybrid seed Production in okra [Abelmoschus esculentus (L.) Moench]. J.Hortl. Sci.7(2):199-202
- V.S.R.Krishna Prasad and Pitchaimuthu,M., (2004) Phenotypic stability and horticultural performance of cucumber [Cucumis sativus (L.)]. Indian Journal of Agricultural Science,74(2): 102-104
- Pitchaimuthu, M. Chow-chow. Underutilized and Under Exploited Horticultural Crops Underutilized and under exploited Horticultural crops in India Vol.-I New India Publishing Agency, New Delhi, pp.255- 273. ISBN 81-89422-60
- Pitchaimuthu,M. Watermelon Hand Book of Vegetables Handbook of Vegetables Vol.III Published by Studium Press LLC , Houston, USA. Vol.-III, Page No 557-606 , ISBN 1-62699-037-9
- Dutta O. P., Sadashiva A. T., Madhavi Reddy K. Pitchaimuthu,M Wild species utilization in Vegetable Crop improvement. Distant Hybridization in Horticultural Crops Distant hybridization in Horticultural crops Astral International (P) Ltd New Delhi-ISBN.9789351248293
- Rajiv Kumar, Rajasekharan PE., Pitchaimuthu M.,Anuradha Sane, Rohini M.R., and Radhika V Vegetable Germplasm Registered at NBPGR , New Delhi Inventory of Registered Horticultural Germplasm from ICAR-IIHR, Bengaluru Published by Director, ICAR-IIHR, Bengaluru-560 089 pp , ISBN 1-82 978-93-5508-006-6.
Arka Sujat ,Arka Siri ,Arka Anamika and Arka Nikita registered with PPV&FRA New Delhi
Awards & Recognitions:
- Fellow of Indian Soecity of Vegetable Science 2019
- Editor, Indian Journal of Pant Genetic Resources
- Trained On Marker aided selection in Vegetable crops at Michigan University , USA
Address for Communication:
#49, Varma Layout, 4thCross,Bhuvaneswarinagar, Hebbal Kempapura,Bangalore,Karanataka,560024
080-23086100 Extn 279