- At present most of the gerbera varieties are patented and big companies import the plants and sell at exorbitant rate.
- A commercial multiplication of Gerbera using shoot tip has been standardized by avoiding vitrified shoots using GA. The proliferation rate is 35% more than the existing method.
- As a second step in vitro petioles can be used for large scale multiplication.
Products and By- products
- Gerbera tissue cultured plants of Arka Krishika
- This technology facilitates the supply of clean planting material with the scope for accelerated production as per the market demand
- Small entrepreneurs can use this technique for multiplication
Target segment /End User Profile
- Small enter pruners
- The market for Gerbera plants is high. At present the market is ruled by the imported varieties which are expensive, since they are all patented and multiplied by big companies. The present protocol may give a better price for the smaller companies
- Rs 10 lakhs for the new lab
- For a set up lab, production cost is Rs 3/plant
- The rate of multiplication is very high.
- Exagar plants can be sold at Rs 8.
- 3 months hardened plants can be sold at Rs 15.
- Benefit cost ratio 2.5:1