Division of Vegetable Crops
Protected cultivation of vegetables, drip irrigation and fertigation in vegetables, organic farming in vegetables
(During the Period of 2019-2023)
- Developed fertigation protocols for parthenocarpic cucumber, pole type French bean, red cabbages and broccoli grown in naturally ventilated polyhouses.
- Identified suitable varieites and its growing practices for polyhouse cultivation in parthenocarpic cucumber, tomato and cherry tomato
- Developed/tested organic farming practices for protected cultivation of parthenocarpic cucumber and capsicum.
- Developed grafting protocols and tested different rootstocks for the cultivation of capsicum, tomato and brinjal.
- Principal Investigator in establishing a center of Excellance facility on protected cultivation of Horticultural crops with an outlay of 6.0crores. It comprises different types of protected structures measuring about 1.0ha area, state of the art automated vegetable seedling production assembly line, auto fertigation unit and rainwater harvesting facility.
Varieties / Technologies Developed:
- Fertigation schedule for parthenocarpic cucumber grown in polyhouse was standardized. Fertigation with 113-75-113 kg NPK/ha produced 114t/ha marketable fruit yield.
- Organic production practice for Parthenocarpic cucumber in polyhouse was standardized. application of FYM @ 50 t/ha basal +Jeevamrutha+ Panchagavya+ AMC, with organic plant protection measures to produce an yield of 67.9t/ha.
- Hybrid of cherry tomato for the cultivation in polyhouse was identified. Hybrid Cheramy (Rz) (Red round) can be adopted with a spacing of 75cmX60cm and single stem training practice to record an yield of 65.0t/ha with an average berry size of 15.7g and TSS of 7.6 degree brix.
- Hybrids of tomato for the cultivation in polyhouse was identified. Indeterminate tomatoes hybrids such as Novara-Rz, GS-600 and Pant PTH-2 can be taken up with an average yield performance of 123t/ha.
- Fertigation schedule for pole type French bean variety Arka Sukomal grown in polyhouse was standardized. Fertigation with 75:100:75kg NPK/ha and a spacing of 80cmX37.5cm was found optimum to produce an yield of 35t/ha.
- Fertigation schedule for broccoli grown in polyhouse was standardized. Fertigation with 100:62.5:100 kg NPK/ha was found optimum to produce an yield of 10.7t/ha.
- Fertigation schedule and spacing for red cabbage grown in polyhouse was standardized. A spacing of 50cmx30cm and fertigation of 113-75-90kg NPK/ha was found to be optimum to produce an average yield of 26t/ha.
- Standardized seed rate and production practices for greenhouse production of coreander for leaf during late summer and early mansoon season. Pulling method with 30kg seed rate/ha was found ideal.
- Polyhouse grown grafted bell pepper hybrid Inspiration and Bachata on chilli root stocks IIHR 3291 gave 18 percent higher yield compared to non grafted hybrid with almost negligible nematode infection in grafted plants.
- Tomato genotypes BN 10-2 (Bacterial Wilt + Root Knot Nematode resistant) and Hawai 7996 (Bacterial wilt resistant) was found to be potential root stocks for tomato hybrids.
(Best 10/High Impact)
- S.S.Hebbar, B.K.Ramachandrappa, H.V.Nanjappa and M.Prabhakar, 2004, Studies on NPK drip fertigation in field grown tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.). European J. Agron., 21 (1), 117-127. (NAAS Score: 11.72)
- Prabhakar,M. S.S.Hebbar and A.K.Nair.2012. Effect of fertigation on growth and yield of summer tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum) using different rates and sources of fertilizers, Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 82 (9):783-786 (NAAS Score 6.37)
- Prabhakar,M. S.S.Hebbar and A.K.Nair. (2012). Effect of organic farming practices on growth, yield and quality of rose onion (Allium cepa L.). Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences,82 (6):500-503 (NAAS Score 6.37)
- Debi Sharma, Hebbar S.S., Jyothi Divakar and Soudamani Mohapatra, 2012, Residues of pesticides acephate and methamidophos in capsicum grown in greenhouse and open field., Quality Assurance and Safety of Crops & Foods, 4:e-33-e-37 (NAAS Score 7.67)
- M. Prabhakar, S.S. Hebbar, A.K. Nair, K.S. Shivashankara, J.K. Chinnu and G.A. Geetha.2015. Effect of different organic nutrient levels on growth, yield and quality in cauliflower. Indian Journal of Horticuilture,72 (2) :293-296. (NAAS Score 6.00)
- Radhika Buddidathi, Soudamini Mohapatra, Lekha Siddamallaiah, Gourishankar Manikrao & Shibara Shankara Hebbar, 2016, Dissipation pattern of flubendiamide residues on capsicum fruit (Capsicum annuum L.) under field and controlled environmental conditions. Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part B , Volume 51 (1): 44-51(NAAS Score 8.51)
- Lekha Siddamallaiah, Soudamini Mohapatr, Radhika Buddidathi, & Shibara Shankara Hebbar, 2016, Dissipation of spiromesifen and spiromesifen-enol on tomato fruit, tomato leaf, and soil under field conditions. Environ Sci Pollut Res-Spinger-Verlag. DOI 10.1007/s11356-017-9954-9 (NAAS Score 11.19)
- M.N. Arun, S. Shankara Hebbar, K. Bhanuprakas and T. Senthivel, 2017, Seed priming improves irrigation water use efficiency, yield and yield components of summer cowpea under limited water conditions. Legume Research, 40 (5) 2017 : 864-871 (NAAS Score 6.67)
- Matadha, Nagapooja & Mohapatra, Soudamini & Siddamallaiah, Lekha & Udupi, Veena & Gadigeppa, Shambulinga & Raja, Danish & Donagar, Shruti & Hebbar, Shibara. (2020). Persistence and dissipation of fluopyram and tebuconazole on bell pepper and soil under different environmental conditions. International Journal of Environmental Analytical Chemistry. 1-20. 10.1080/03067319.2019.1704745 (NAAS Score 8.73).
- Saheb Pal, Eguru Sreenivasa Rao, S Shahkara Hebbar, S Sriram, M Pitchaimuthu, Vala Keshava Rao; 2020, Assessment of Fusarium wilt resistant Citrullus sp. rootstocks for yield and quality traits of grafted watermelon, Scientia Horticulturae 272, 109497, Pp 1-9 (NAAS Score 10.34)
- Prabhakar,M, Hebbar,S.S. and Nair,A.K.2010.Production technology of vegetables – A Hand Book. Indian Institute of Horticultural Research, Hesarghatta Lake P.O., Bangalore-560 089-145 pages
- Madhavi Reddy, K., Nair,A.K., Senthilkumar,M. and Hebbar,S.S.(2023).Production Technology of Vegetable Crops- A Hand Book. Indian Institute of Horticultural Research, Hessarghatta Lake P.O., Bengaluru-560089, 190 pages (ISBN: 9789355080042)
- Prabhakar, M, S.S.Hebbar, 2006, Peri-urban vegetable production. In:Environment and Agriculture. Eds. K.L.Chadha and M.S.Swamynathan, Malhotra Publishing House, New Delhi, pp 388-411 (ISBN 10:8185048436; ISBN 13: 9788185048437)
- Prabhakar M., and S.S.Hebbar, 2008, Annual drumstick (Moringa oleifera Lam). In Under utilized and under exploited Horticultural Crops Vol.4, Edited By K.V.Peter, New India Publishing House. pp 111-130. (ISBN 10: 81-89422-90-1; ISBN 13: 978-81-89422-90-5)
- M.Prabhakar, S.S. Hebbar and Gayathri M, 2009, Production Technology. In Okra Handbook-Global production, Processing, and Crop Improvement. Edited by B.S.Dhankar and Ram Singh, HNB Publishing, New York. pp 159-174. (ISBN-10: 0972806180, ISBN-13: 978-0972806183)
- M.Prabhakar and S.S.Hebbar, 2010, Prospects of organic vegetable cultivation in India. In Organic Horticulture, Principles & Practice and Technologies. Edt. by H.P. Singh and G.V.Thomas. Westville Publishing House, New Delhi 11006.Pp:60-75 (440 pages) , (ISBN 10: 8185873615 ISBN 13: 9788185873619)
- Sidhu, A.S., Prabhakar, M., Hebbar, S.S., Nair, A.K. and Bhagya, H.P.(2013). Recent advances in fertigation techniques for protected cultivation in vegetable crops. In: Protected cultivation of horticultural crops, Peter,K.V and Singh,D.K. (Eds), New India Publishing Agency, New Delhi, India (ISBN: 9789351305972)
- Prabhakar, M., Hebbar, S.S., Nair, A.K. and Chinnu, J.K.(2013). High value vegetable production in green house. In: Protected cultivation of horticultural crops, Peter, K.V and Singh,D.K. (Eds),New India Publishing Agency, New Delhi, India (ISBN: 9789351305972)
- Hebbar, S.S., 2021, Recent developments in crop management of important vegetables under polyhouse and rain shelter. In Proceedings of National Webinar on “Challenges and opportunities of vegetable production in warm humid tropics” Ed. T. Pradeepkumar, 43-52; ISBN - 978-81-954597-0-4
- Hebbar, S.S. A. K. Nair, M. Senthil Kumar, and M. Prabhakar, 2022, Organic Farming in Vegetable Crops. In : Organic Production management ,Eds: D.P.Singh, H.G.Prakash, M.Swapna, S.Soloman, Apple Academic Press, USA & Canada. ISBN hard: 978-1-77491-058-0
- Hebbar, S.S., Nair,A.K. and M. Senthilkumar. (2023). Green house cultivation of tomato. Production technology of Vegetable Crops -A Hand Book pp 151-154, Madhavi Reddy, K.,Nair,A.K., Senthilkumar,M. and Hebbar,S.S.( (Eds), Indian Institute of Horticultural Research, Bengaluru, Karnataka (ISBN: 9789355080042)
- Hebbar, S.S., Nair,A.K. and M. Senthilkumar. (2023). Green house cultivation of capsicum. Production technology of Vegetable Crops -A Hand Book pp 155-158, Madhavi Reddy, K.,Nair,A.K., Senthilkumar,M. and Hebbar,S.S.( (Eds), Indian Institute of Horticultural Research, Bengaluru, Karnataka (ISBN: 9789355080042)
Awards & Recognitions:
- ICAR Award for outstanding interdisciplinary team research in Agriculture and Allied Sciences as Team member for the biennium 2007-08 on 16th July 2010 for the research on chilli improvement.
- ICAR award for outstanding Inter disciplinary team research in Agriculture and Allied Sciences as Team member for the biennium 2013-14 on 16th July 2016 for the research on tomato improvement.
- Served as Nominated Member of the Academic council, IGKV , Raipur for the period 2016-2018.
- Member, Technical committee on fixation of quality standards and costing for protected cultivation structures for Department of Horticulture, Government of Karnataka, Lalbagh, Bangalore.
080-23086100 Extn 283