- To study the fertility status of interspecific hybrids between Solanum melongena and Solanum macrocarpon
- To restore the fertility in interspecific F1 hybrids
- Identified method to restore the fertility of sterile F1 interspecific hybrid Solanum macrocarpon x Solanum melongena
- Six F2 s of the sterile F1 interspecific hybrids between Solanum macrocarpon and Solanum melongena and 3 BC1 plants have survived successfully from seeds under field conditions
- Successfully produced F2 interspecific hybrid progenies from F1 interspecific hybrid between cultivated Solanum melongena ( 2 BMG-1) and Solanum macrocarpon
- 38 superior F2 inter specific hybrid recombinations from direct crosses (Solanum melongena and Solanum macrocarpon ) have been identified based on individual plant observation at field level among the segregating progenies for higher number of fruits/plant,yield and fruit and shoot borer infestation at field level in four direct cross combinations of Solanum melongena x Solanum macrocarpon
- Based on field studies ,Solanum macrocarpon ,the wild species of brinjal recorded 0 % fruit borer infestation. In F2 segregating population, the mean fruit borer infestation (%) ranged from 4.36% in S.melongena (SM 6-6 ) x Solanum macrocarpon to 15.58% in S.melongena (2 BMG -1 x Solanum macrocarpon ) .The number of damaged fruits per plant ranged from 0-2 to 0-4 in F1 interspecific hybrids(direct cross) and F2 segregating populations.