Division of Fruit Crops
Developed farming system models one each suitable to the rainfed lowland situations of the region and another for rainfed uplands with predominant cropping of plantation crops. The lowland model involved rice based sequential cropping system with integration of dairy, mushroom and poultry and recycling of resources. The upland model involved cashew, coconut and arecanut based systems with integration of backyard poultry, piggery and vermi composting.
- Working on the crop improvement of guava and papaya including the maintenance of Field Gene Bank.
- Involved in the development of two guava hybrids viz., Arka Kiran and Arka Rashmi and one mango hybrid Arka Udaya .
- Involved in the Characterization of guava, papaya and mango accessions as per the standard descriptor.
- Involved in the characterization of 40 unique indigenous ‘appemidi’ mango types using SSR markers including documentation.
Associated and developed the high yielding varieties of Coconut (4no), Mango (1) and papaya (1) varieties. Surveyed and collected 20 accessions of mango and 35 coconut accessions from A&N Islands which includes three dwarf type and a makapuno type. The makapuno type with soft endosperm is first report and collection from the A&N islands. Characterized the 24 Pacific Ocean accessions and 6 Nicobar Island accessions and a descriptor has been prepared according to COGENT Descriptor (64traits).
- Nucellar seedlings of ‘Vellaikulamban’ and ‘Olour’ mango varieties identified as potential rootstocks for intensive cultivation of Alphonso mango.
- Major nutrient requirements of rain-fed ‘Alphonso’ and ‘Totapuri’ mango trees worked out.
- Attempted diagnosis of nutrient needs of mango by Orchard Efficiency Analysis, DRIS and PCA approaches
- Unraveled basic factors governing tree vigour in mango
- Paclobutrazol application devised to regulate vegetative vigour, enhance flowering, hasten harvest and to get higher fruit yields in ‘Alphonso’ mango.
HORTIIHRCIL2013010: 010 ( 11 )
HORTIIHRCIL2013010: 010 ( 10 )
HORTIIHRCIL2013010: 010 ( 9 )
HORTIIHRCIL2013010: 010 ( 7 )